Wednesday, May 22, 2013

San Francisco Wins 2016 Super Bowl Bid

Super Bowl L (50 to the Roman Numeral Impaired) will be held in San Francisco in 2016.

And the people rejoiced!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Super Bowl L will be only the third Super Bowl to be designated with a single Roman numeral. The first was obviously Super Bowl I. Can you (without peeking) name the other? Cinchy, right?

And, assuming one Super Bowl per year for the foreseeable future, in what year will the next Super Bowl to be designated with a single digit appear?

4 comments:

  1. OK - here goes. Super Bowl I was not called Super Bowl I at the time. I believe it wasn't even called 'Super Bowl' until III. I coule be wrong - this is ancient history. Unless Super Bowl V was named something like IIIII and Super Bowl X was named VIIIII, that would make 2 so far. In 2066 we will have Super Bowl C, in 2466 we will have Super Bowl D, and in 2966 we will have Super Bowl M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheik: Go to the head of the class! You are correct, Super Bowl I was not referred to as Super Bowl I at the time it was played. That came later. Superbowls V & X came after. You even avoided what could have been a trick question: "in what year will the next Super Bowl to be designated with a single digit appear?", since technically, that will be 2016. But you fathomed that the intent of my question was the next Super Bowl after 2016.

      You are a gold star student. I am tempted to let you skip the final!

      Delete
  2. Our favorite babes sure are looking good here, Proof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To paraphrase Nancy Sinatra, these boots were made for struttin'!

      Delete