Sunday, March 28, 2010

Ann Coulter and the Tea Party Express: Henderson Pt. 1

Image search at PicPoke.com

The doors were supposed to open at 3:15. I got there a little after two, and there were already long lines to get in. I found my way over to the VIP/donor line (VIP that I am!) and found myself behind a nice couple from Escondido, CA. and in front of a nice lady, apparently from just across the street!

It was a festival/ rock concert kind of atmosphere, but the demographic definitely trended older than most rock concerts (The Rolling Stones and Who notwithstanding!). A lot of energy in the crowd. Lots of veterans. Lots of kids. The was a family a little way in front of me with some really cute little kids. He had some bright yellow "Ron Paul Tea Party" balloons. The back side of which read "NO NOECONS", which I took to mean "No neocons" with the Paulbots' usual flair for accuracy and persuasion!

The gates were opened at 3:15 and we started filing in. The crowd was well behaved and orderly. There were persons of color in the crowd and on stage, but never once did I hear a racial epithet muttered. The crowd even sat politely later that evening when a hip hop rendition of a tea party ditty was performed, though I suspect it was not the majority of the crowd's "cup of tea"!

Opening for la belle Coulter was a band called "Sin City Surfers". They weren't bad, but they weren't great either. I could see them making an excellent bar band, because if I'd had a couple drinks in me, I probably would have enjoyed them more. Their lead singer played sax, and turned in a fairly credible "Harlem Nocturne".
At one point, he was wandering up and down the aisles with a wireless mic on the sax.
Adequate showmen, but too much sax and not enough violins! They were game enough to stick around and keep the group entertained when the bus was delayed, so, over all, high marks!

Next: Queen Ann rules!

Cross posted at Say Anything

No comments:

Post a Comment