Thursday, November 27, 2008

What Are You Thankful For?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


'Tis the season, here in the States, at least, that folks time time out from their day to day lives and consider what they have to be thankful for. It is not exclusively a religious tradition, atheists and agnostics are grateful in their own way.

In looking back through the blog in the last few (lean) days, I'm thankful for the unbroken line of patriots, from Sam Adams to Lt. Charles P. Murray, Jr., to the brave American men and women serving in the Middle East today. People with the courage of their convictions, who are willing to lay their lives on the line, if necessary, to uphold their beliefs.

I'm thankful for this forum and for the folks who take the time to visit, from dozens of countries all over the globe.

On a more personal note, I'm thankful that escrow finally closed on my new house in California. After many hurdles and some seemingly insurmountable obstacles, I finally have a house to move into (which becomes very helpful once you move out of another!)

I'm thankful that I live in the USA. For my friends abroad, this is not mere chauvinism. The US is in a unique position to preserve and promote freedom and economic opportunities around the world. Whether or not we achieve our great potential, time will tell and history will surely judge.

I, myself, will spend this day in the company of my family: my children, my brother's family and my sister. I will try not to eat too much, but will have to fend off seconds and thirds proffered by my sister-in-law. Because I haven't moved yet, I will be able to beg off taking leftovers home with me (I'm thankful for that! ) : )

I hope that wherever you are, whether or not you observe a "Thanksgiving" day in November, that you take a moment to reflect upon the things for which you are thankful. Too often, we focus on the immediate at the expense of the important.

For, what do you have that is not a gift?


Take time to smell the cranberry sauce! Have a happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment